There are over 6 million carers in the UK.
Caring can take on many forms. You may:
- do the shopping and prepare meals for your partner who is ill
- help your mum to manage her finances because she has dementia
- help your disabled child to take a bath and go to the toilet
- provide emotional support to your brother who is addicted to drugs and alcohol.
Carers face many issues. You may worry about:
- juggling work and care
- debt and other money issues
- finding time for yourself
- looking after your own health and well being
- getting help in an emergency, or
- navigating your way through social services
Being lesbian, gay, bisexual or trans and a carer can bring about additional issues. One such worry may be that existing services to support you and the person that they care may not be LGBT friendly, or you may also feel uncomfortable about ‘coming out’ to people who can help.
On these web pages you will find information and links to places that can support you as an LGBT carer.
Also, keep up to date with news, find out about events, and chat with other carers who understand how you feel, on the new LGBT Carers Online Forum