When: second and fourth Monday of the month, 7pm - 9pm
The much loved Art Class is BACK!
The volunteers Michael and Brian are excited to start the class with a new energy, and activities will include painting, sketching and arts and crafts. There is also an opportunity to explore the works of art you love (and hate!) and have discussions around them.
All abilities welcome, and we will provide all equipment. Get creative, and meet new people while you’re at it!
For more information please call contact us on 0845 3 30 30 30 from 10am-10pm mon-fri, 6pm-10pm on weekends.
Frequently Asked Questions for LGF groups
1. Where is the group held?
The group is held at Number 5, Richmond Street, Manchester M1 3HF, where the LGF is based. The offices are above Queer on Canal Street, however entry to the LGF is on Richmond Street which runs behind Canal Street and is the same road on which Vanilla is on. Just press the buzzer, say you are here for the group, and you will be let in.
2. Is it accessible?
There is a lift to all floors from street level, we also have stairs so if you don’t want to use the lift, say so when you ring the buzzer.
3. Is it anonymous and confidential?
Yes, at the beginning of the group you may be asked what your name is, you do not have to give your real name of course. We will also ask you to complete a monitoring form (postcode, gender, sexuality, age), this information can not be used to identify you and is used for data collection only. Again, you do not have to complete this.
What is discussed within the group is confidential, however there are times when confidentiality may have to be breached, for example if you or somebody else is at risk of harm, or where there is a requirement in law in the case of serious criminal offences (in particular terrorism and money laundering). We also ask group members to be sensitive and tactful when outside the group.
4. Can I meet someone before the group starts?
Of course you can! The best way is ring the LGF on 0845 3 30 30 30. That way we will know when you are arriving, so we can have a chat and a look round the building. It's a nerve racking thing coming to the group for the first time, and we want to make it as comfortable as possible, so ask us anything!
5. What's the age range of the group and how many people turn up to the group?
The age range for all groups is over 18, however, if you are just under this age, we could accommodate your needs too. Groups range from 4 people to around 10, with sometimes more depending on what’s going on!
6. What's the environment like?
The group is held in the Conference room, as it is big enough to accommodate larger tables to draw and paint on. It’s on the third floor, and there’s also a urn in there to make yourself a hot drink.
7. Do I have to be 'out'?
No! The group is for people who are unsure of their sexuality, as well as people who are out but feel isolated. Other peoples' experiences about coming out can often help people who are unsure. You don't even have to identify yourself if you would prefer not to.
8. Are there any social opportunities in the group?
Yes! Some groups have regular outings, and also some go for drinks in Canal Street after the group has finished.
Groupwork Agreement for all LGF groups:
- Welcome all members to the group and help provide a friendly environment
- We have the right to speak and also to remain silent
- Anything discussed in the group should stay confidential, be tactful if you see other members of the group outside
- Try not to talk over each other, especially when people are presenting
- Try not to dominate discussion, other people may have an opinion
- Treat all members of the group with respect, even if you disagree with them. Challenge the issue not the person
- Aggressive behaviour towards other service users, volunteers or staff is not acceptable and you will be asked to leave the group
- Do not access the group if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you will be asked to leave the group and come back when not under the influence
- Mobile phones should be on silent, please step outside the room to use
- The group room in everyone’s responsibility, please help to keep the area clean and tidy