Village Census 2011 - what did we find out?
Publish Date: 09/01/2012
In 2011 the LGF carried out our second annual census of Manchester’s Gay Village to take a ‘snapshot’ of who uses the Village over the course of a typical week.
Teams of volunteer census takers went out every day during two weeks in June and October, and if you are a Village regular you may remember being approached by someone in an Outreach t-shirt asking, “could you spare a few moments to take part in the Village Census?”
In total, volunteers collected census data from over 2,681 people.
This huge number could not have been achieved without the hard work of so many volunteers, so a big thank you goes out to all those who were involved!
We asked questions about age, gender, sexual orientation and ethnicity as well as whether people used LGF services such as the free condom scheme, helpline, website and counselling. We also asked respondents to tell us, “What does the Village mean to you?”
So what did we find out?
- Over 7 in 10 respondents were lesbian, gay or bisexual
- Of lesbian, gay and bisexual respondents, 71% were men and 29% were women
- 3% of respondents identified as trans
- One fifth of respondents were in the 26-30 age bracket
- The majority of respondents identified as White British, at 84%
- Two fifths of respondents came from central Manchester
- One fifth of respondents came from outside the Greater Manchester area
- 40% of respondents visited the Village on a weekly basis, the most common frequency given
- 56% of LGB respondents from Greater Manchester said they use LGF services, including condom and lube packs, outnorthwest, helpline, website, counselling and groups
- Over two in five respondents described the Village as fun or good
- 3 in 10 described the Village as a gay space, using words like community, haven and home
Thanks to everyone who took part in the Census, your contribution has helped us generate a picture of life in the Village. This information will help us to target our work in the area more effectively.
Of course, we will continue to engage with lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people outside of the Village – look out for our Outreach teams working across the region, and be sure to pick up your next copy of outnorthwest at your nearest distribution point.
For further information about the Village Census please email email@example.com or call 0845 3 30 30 30.